Photo and recipe via
For the Lasagna Soup
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 3 cups chopped spinach leaves
For the Vegan Pesto Ricotta
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4 to 8 hours, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
- 1/4 pound extra firm tofu, drained
- 3 to 4 tablespoons prepared vegan pesto, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Make the Lasagna Soup
Place broth, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and lentils into slow cooker and stir a few times to blend. Set the slow cooker to high and cover. Allow to cook until lentils are just a bit on the firm side, about 2 hours.
Add diced and crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker and stir. Allow to continue cooking on high for 2 to 3 hours more.
Add noodles and spinach to the slow cooker and give the mixture a stir. Allow to cook until noodles are tender and spinach is wilted, about 12 minutes.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
Make the Vegan Pesto Ricotta
Place cashews, and milk into food processor and blend until smooth. Add tofu and pulse a few times, just until the mixture takes on a ricotta-like texture. Add pesto to taste, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Divide soup into bowls, and top each with a dollop of vegan pesto ricotta. Serve.
You may have some extra ricotta. It will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days, or you can freeze it. Use it as a pasta or salad topper, or save it for another batch of soup.