- 2 teaspoons safflower or other neutral oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped or halved raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- 2 1/2 cups or more grated or shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup almond meal or coarsely ground almonds
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup ground raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or safflower oil
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder or saffron strands
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cashews and cook until lightly golden, 2 minutes. Add raisins and pistachios and cook until the raisins puff up, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the grated carrots to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add almond meal and almond milk and mix well. Reduce heat to low-medium. Cook for 15 minutes.
Add sugar, vegan butter, salt, and cardamom. Mix in. Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until all the almond milk has almost been absorbed. Depends on the moisture in the carrots and the stove. Stir occasionally.
Taste and adjust sweet. Continue to cook for another few minutes or until roasted to desired consistency and color. Serve warm or chilled.