Vegan queso here – by Vegan Richa
- 1.5 tbsp oil , olive oil or organic safflower
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper , finely chopped
- 3.5 tbsp flour , unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp each of cumin ,garlic powder, dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper powder or 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard optional
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened non dairy milk , such as almond milk or soy milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast , less or more to preference
- 1 tsp soy sauce optional
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsp chopped pickled jalapeno for garnish
- cilantro for garnish, lemon for tang
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes.. Add flour and mix in. Cook the flour in oil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the bell pepper and cook for half a minute. Mix in the spices and cook for a few seconds.
Mix in about half the non dairy milk and all of the nutritional yeast. Whisk frequently to mix in the lumps. Add the rest of the non dairy milk and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened. Taste carefully and adjust salt and flavor. Add more cumin or smoked paprika for smokier, chipotle for heat). Add a pinch of turmeric for color if you like and mix in.
At this point, you can cool the mixture slightly and blend it to make it more creamier and smoother (optional). Mix in the salsa if using. Garnish with pickled jalapeno, cilantro and lemon if needed. Some chopped roasted pimiento or red bell pepper also is a great option to mix in. Serve over nachos, tacos, with chips, quesadillas and more.
To make this Oil-free: Toast the flour on a dry skillet for 3 minutes until it starts to smell toasty. Remove from the skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute in broth. Add bell pepper and toasted flour and mix in. Add the spices and continue to cook for a minute. Add all of the non dairy milk and nutritional yeast and continue from step 2. The flour takes longer to mix in well and thicken. So whisk really well and cook a minute longer.