Photo and recipe via
Almôndega vegana de feijão:
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or carrots
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms or other veggie
- 3 large cloves garlic
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1-15oz can pinto beans (any bean will work)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¾ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1½ cups marinara sauce or buffalo sauce
- 6 hot dog buns
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place walnuts and mushrooms on lined/sprayed baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Once done, remove from oven and leave oven on.
- Combine flax and water in a small bowl, stir, and set aside.
- Place garlic and onion in food processor and pulse a few times until chopped. Add beans, Italian seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and cooked mushrooms and walnuts (they will be hot, that’s okay) and pulse until everything is chopped and mixture will hold together. There should be some texture– it shouldn’t look pureed.
- Dump mixture into a bowl and stir in flax mixture and bread crumbs.
- Roll mixture into 20 balls (a bit larger than a golf ball). Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 20 minutes
- Place three balls on each buns (toasted if desired) and top with ¼ cup marinara. You’ll have a couple bean balls leftover